Monday, December 14, 2009

In Stitches

In an attempt to finally create an adult bedroom, I wanted to have matching linens- bedspread, a skirt to cover the boxspring and curtains. I was also attempting to de-Copacabana our bedroom, which is a fabulous shade of Pacific Palisade, but needed to be brought far, far away from the beach. If I didn’t do something fast, I feared I might start receiving macramé and shell home accessories.

So I started with a Roman Shade. I was inspired (time number eight thousand three hundred and forty four) by my dear college roommate who whipped out a set for her dining room. I don’t remember her being much of a sewer at the time and I was really impressed. I also remember her saying they weren’t that difficult and I stuck a mental Post-it on my mental project board.

Fast forward 5 years when I finally have my own house where I can put up any window décor I want and keep it there. For as long as I want. Dust off Post-it note.

I called Amy for some tips, “Oh Eunie, really? Be careful of those dowels. Measure, like, 100 times. Did I mention the dowels? Wow. Good luck.” Dowels?

Enter Fabric Store. I begged Maz to go to a super mega fabric store on a summer trip to Salt Lake City. I gave him a snack, a bottle of water and ensured he had a book. As I walked over the threshold and through the automatic doors, I turned over my shoulder, “This might take a while? Are you okay?” An eye roll silently said “I’ll manage. But behave.”

It wasn’t quick, but I found a delicious set of fabrics that would take Copacabana closer to the mountains. Proceed to cutting table.

Fabric store employee: "Oops! Sorry, there’s not enough here? Do you want to pick something else?"

My silent eyeroll said "Are you joking!?! I’ve been here 2 hours digging through your entire inventory! No I don’t want something else!” But my mouth said:

“No thanks- I’ll make it work.”

Fabric Store Employee: “Oh geez! This one’s short too. I’ll charge you remnant price. You can come back next week when we get more- it’s very popular!”

My silent eyeroll said “I drove 4 ½ hours to this fabric store. I am not coming back next week for fractional yardage!” But my mouth said:

“Great! I’ll see what I can do with what’s there.”

I hired a Sherpa to help me carry all the fabric, thread, drape rings, insulating liner and cording to the car. (By the way, Maz was a complete saint at the fabric store and even helped me find notions and special fabrics. He survives to visit another fabric store- yes!)

I sat down with measuring tape, chalk, ruler, notes, diagram, cutting mat, rotary cutter and patience. As much as I wanted a one-day challenge, I knew this roman shade project might try to get the best of me.




There was a little brain damage trying to make up the extra yardage, to dowel or not to dowel and matching up the stripes, but overall, each step went smoothly. Maz was a big help during the hanging and stringing step, thanks to all his big fancy engineering cred.

Roman Shade!


1 comment:

AG Ambroult said...

they're AWSEOME! I see you went with the dowels. Nice choice.

Can you hear the waves crashing yet?

...and I think I need that wall color in my house now