Friday, December 18, 2009

Cold Comfort for Change: Part 3

Comforter covers are just a bag for your blanket, right? Sew a couple square corners, throw some buttons on the top. Done.

Insert screeching tire sound here. I had a few things working against me on this one. Including myself.

  1. Comforter covers are 2 sided right? Note to self: multiply yardage by 2.
  2. Fabric store is hour and ½ away. Puchased fabric was from store 4 1/2 hours away. Don’t cry yet.
  3. Fabric is 45” wide. Comforter cover is 85 inches wide.
  4. Make the pattern and construction really complicated because you don’t have enough problems yet.

I got bailed out by a local quilt shop. The first time I went to High Country Quilting it was in a dark, weird store space with only cotton fabrics and ugly ones at that. I wrote off this store and it’s multiple moves in the last few years. On a Saturday bike ride, I couldn't resist a ‘Fabric Yard Sale’ in front of the store. I dug through moose print flannel and drab holiday prints, then stepped inside.

Armed with my tape, sketch book, swatches and a calculator, I waded through the rooms of bolts. It was still quilting cottons (I do love me an occasional jewel tone dupioni silk and wide wale corduroy), but there was beautiful modern fabrics and delicious colors meticulously folded and tucked.

Mrs. High Country Quilting showed me a loud, aisan-y print that made me cringe at first, but it matched every single stripe in my roman shade and the remaining fabric for the duvet.

My Sherpa returned to haul fabric and I promptly sat down to measure and cut. It was a bit unwieldy to sew such a large amount of fabric (new appreciation for people who sew wedding dresses!) and the button closure required more math than I prefer (mowing the lawn requires more math than I prefer!) and I am happy to say it was worth it. The duvet is totally unique and great anchor of color in the bedroom.



No comments: