I ordered a fabulous dress from modcloth.com (a site for which I've become the new unofficial and self appointed evangelist.) It needed a little something extra, a little punch. After consulting with my fashion maharishi who warned me "watch the shade- don't make it too 4th of July!", I paired it with a pair of red shoes and started work on a Japanese obi-style belt.
First I started with a prototype obi, to work out proportions and stitching. My friend B had picked up a thrift store skirt a few years ago, declaring, "This fabric is awesome, I think you can do something with it." It was perfect for my prototype!

I loosely used this tutorial, reducing the width of the belt and adding a buttonhole in the back to pass through the fastening ribbons.

This silk fabric was also from B, who had it custom made for her in Vietnam years ago. She asked me to make a pillow for her so she could actually enjoy it, instead of having the gorgeous fabric folded up in a closet.

It was perfect complement to my shoes and didn't look July 4th, so I cut an edge off the fabric and started work on the real one.


Most sewing projects aren't necessarily quick--especially for me and my penchant for making it more complicated, modyfying a pattern or developing the pattern from scratch-- but from measure to model, this was about 40 minutes.
And the finished product- from the 37th floor of the Westin Virginia Beach!
5 comments:
You are just so clever. It looks SO goo on that dress and you are a total hotty.
Yes, you look smokin', E!
You look great! And it's not 4th of July at all!
Thanks girls-you are all too kind. I wish this was the Driggs regular uniform, but unfortunately, the mukluks and woolies often overrule.
Only you could pull that off--logistically and style wise. You look fabulous!--seestar
Post a Comment