I don’t travel for work to the most exotic places, but I still get excited to navigate a new place, see what the people are like, experience different weather (as long as it’s not 50 and raining.) So I make the best of every trip and feel lucky that someone puts me on a plane and calls it work.
It was easy to make the best out of this trip..the Gateway Arch peeked out from behind the building to make an appearance in my hotel room window.

I have an obsession with the Arch, ever since dad and I went there in 1997 on a road trip. Mostly, it is beautiful piece of public art to me, but then I consider the engineering and the symbolism and I am even more amazed. It is really quite a spectacular site.
This building is also across the street- it’s part of the memorial. The bright light in the background is the new Cardinals stadium.

Speaking of Cardinals fans, they are wild. They apparently rent all the hotel rooms in downtown St. Louis to stay overnight after the games. They love Budweiser. And branded Cardinals apparel.
Despite several trips to Southern California and living in the geothermal hotbed of the country (our building regulations even include a seismic requirement), I had to go to Missouri to experience my first earthquake. I woke up at 4:30 in the morning on Friday to what I thought was some really incredible gusts of wind and promptly went back to sleep. The next morning, I asked my coworker if he heard anything weird last night, and he said 'Yeah! There was a huge earthquake!'
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/eqinthenews/2008/us2008qza6/
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/18/illinois.earthquake/index.html?iref=newssearch
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/nation/story/85FD230AAFCED4D08625742F003769F5?OpenDocument
In other news, while I was digging around in my phone for these pictures, I found these funny ones of my niece Lucy from the Charleston road trip. Too cute.

No comments:
Post a Comment