Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Did you know Montana was 'The Treasure State'?

I found this out on a road trip I took in August. I also found out that my car is very cozy to sleep in, that Driggs, ID starry nights are pale compared rural North Dakota, that I can drive 12 hour shifts, but not without nearly going bonkers, and that having an easy-to-open-with-one-hand cooler might be a good investment.
















This multi-purpose journey involved 3 days in McIntosh, MN with my 93 year old Grandma. We spent days running errands and driving in the country. In the evening we'd have dinner together in her house, the same one my mom grew up in. We'd finish with a short glass of wine on the back deck, watching birds, talking gardening and watching the sun go down.

I also traveled to International Falls, MN to run with my friend Mike. You may remember him from 2 years ago, running 4000+ across the country to honor Iraq war veterans who are no longer with us. Well, he's at it again, but he's only going 2000 or so. This time he is planting flags for Afghanistan Veterans.
 

 




















 It's always such an honor to spend time with Mike, even just 3 minutes. To get the chance to run 11 miles with him, in the state I grew up in, and then plant a flag for Micheal Jakes from Brooklyn, NY is incredible. 























My dad's birthday is in August (a big one!) and I was so lucky to be able to celebrate with him. We enjoyed an evening in 'Nordeast' Minneapolis at Erte.






















Of course, a trip to MN in late August wouldn't be complete without a trip to the State Fair. 

 















To close out the trip, I trekked across South Dakota then through Buffalo and Cody, Wyoming.






















Powder River Pass is not the fastest route, but I wouldn't have had it another way. Scenic is an understatement. 

















I feel so lucky to have been able to take off for 2 weeks and roam around the country's highways (I did work. A little bit.), and I refuse to take it for granted.  I am already planning next year's sojourn-any suggestions?

1 comment:

Owner and Operator, Firefly Hills C&A (coffee and aerobed) said...

I suggest Firefly Hills in Arlington. I hear they have a wine fridge, fire pit, and outdoor barbecue. Lots of live entertainment too.