Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Talkin' Trash 2012

It's that time of year again- Trash Bash! This is the 3rd year I've made something for TVCR's Trash Bash Silent Auction and Trashion Show. After an uncertain future for this event, it was reinvented by the group and scheduled for June 2.

I had great success with the cork vest last year and Drew agreed to model again, so I made another. Constructed of newspaper and 6 lb coffee bags, it's entitled 'Morning Routine'. Thanks to BVW and LH for your Costco stops that yielded the bags- they are great to work with.



































After a few months of tense discussion with Maz about whether we should continue to watch movies on VHS, I took a big leap. I sacrificed a copy of 'GoldenEye' to make this dress, 'Rewind'.


 Photo courtesy of Bridget Ryder, Teton Valley News 




Rewind in progress.




















For the silent auction, I spent some quality time with my inherited serger to make some fingerless gloves/handwarmers from retired sweaters.


My friend Jenny created two amazing dresses. 'Hammer Time' modeled by our friend, Linsey, was made from a recycled tank dress and rusty nails handsewn to the dress. Very couture.



'Hot Topic was a strapless dress with a princess neckline and a pleated skirt constructed from local newspapers.



Another favorite was this dress was made of plastic grocery bags with a ruffle front. It was gorgeous!


 At the end of the night, votes were counted and I won my first trophy- Trashionista of the Year! I was so thrilled and now it occupies a special place on my cutting table- underneath all the fabric.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG the VHS fringe and the zipper, to die for!!! Of course that won first place. The dress looks amazing!!! Congrats!

Seestar said...

That dress is AWESOME. I bow down in admiration to you.

the clothing menu said...

Congrats! Although those outfits are not appropriate to wear to work, they are very creative!

Kristen