Saturday, October 2, 2010

Tomatillo Explosion

This year I discovered tomatillos.



I decided to pick up a few one day at Broulims- the papery wrapper, the lime green skin poking out was so mysterious. I wanted to know what was inside. After some mexican dishes, I found the texture and flavor so versatile, I started throwing tomatillos in some basic dishes with some amazing results!

Some of my favorite ways to use tomatillos:

- As a base for a vegetarian chili
- Tomatillo, Corn and Onion burritos
- Happy Experiment Pasta- Angel Hair with Tomatillos and Broccoli in a wine white, butter and garlic sauce (above)



- Loaded Grilled Cheese feat. Maz's Sourdough Loaf

Maz has been working at a local, organic farm this summer and one day, he brought home a PILE of tomatillos. I was brimming with excitement.



In this same pile was a small, oval squash. One day, this was the only thing in the house to eat for lunch. So I cranked up the oven, cut the squash, scooped some butter and curry paste into the center and went back to work for 45 minutes.



Then I cubed some tomatillos on top, poured on a little coconut milk and cooked for 10 more minutes.

-Currytillo Squash

It's quite gone.



It's time for my annual survey- what crazy food item have you discovered this year? Leave a comment and I'll send you the turn by turn directions for a dish mentioned here.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

We have fully embraced the pizza dough from the local coop and have been making pizza at least once a week, sometimes two pizzas. Our fave: caramelized onions, mushrooms and blue cheese!
I'm also a 100% fan of feta! and greek food!
I'll be sure to get some tomatillos for your visit: the grilled cheese looks so yummy to me!!!