
My niece Lucy loves her American Girl Twins, Jack and Jane. Like can't leave home without them LOVE. Having been quite the doll aficionado myself, I fully understand this obsession. But before we get to Lucy, let me tell you about Mrs. Ferguson.
Mrs. Ferguson was my aunt's mother-in-law. I never met her, but twice a year- Christmas and Birthday- my sister and I would receive a checkbook box of clothes for our Barbie dolls. Beautiful, detailed, beaded, hand crocheted doll clothes. Wedding dresses with booties and silver beading. Knit business suits with a button closure tank shirt. Leggings and tunics. Swimming suits. This was amazing work, but I didn't care about that, my sister and I had the most fashionable Barbie dolls in Bryn Mawr. Who was this mystery lady, loosely related to me? Why did she send me these amazing outfits every year without fail? I didn't think about that very long either; I wrote an awkward 7 year-old thank you note and went to organize the next fashion show.
Years later when I purchased my first sewing machine, one of the first things I wanted to try was Barbie doll clothes, to see exactly what Mrs. Ferguson went through. It had to be fun or she would not have been so steadfast in her shipments. I quickly found fit issues (Barbie's crazy 13.5cm-8.5cm-12.5cm figure) and the miniscule scale was beyond my skill.
So let's try something bigger- say an American Girl doll?
For Christmas, I made Lucy sleeping bags for Jack and Jane. Without an actual doll, I was concerned about proportion, so I made a dummy:

This worked fine for a fleece rectangle, but it would never work to design a corduroy swing coat with toggle buttons for Jane and a Members Only style jacket for Jack. No, no. This won't do.

I asked Mom and Alison to keep their eyes out for used AG dolls in the same size. "Are you kidding? These dolls are like gold!" "It's a miracle doll, E. Girls just don't USE them and then give them to Goodwill." Wow. I guess it had been a while since I was in the doll circle.
I stalked Craigslist. In several states. I combed Ebay for something used and abused. Everything was in mint condition with a minty price. I found a naked African American doll with one blue and one brown eye. I placed my bid. I was immediately outbid past my max.
Finally one night, I checked my 'Watch' list-an auction was ending in 26 minutes. In between watching Human Target and checking my bids, I received an email:

I immediately called Mom and Alison to brag about my Ebay bidding strategy. Then I found a pad of paper and started sketching and a week later, Junior arrived.

Junior chills by the Janome.
Now my tiny dress form lives in the sewing room, waiting to be poked, prodded, taped, draped and dressed in the latest tiny couture. I wait to have a Mrs. Ferguson experience. And Lucy waits for her checkbook box.
4 comments:
Best post ever! Mrs. Ferguson is legendary!
maybe, if I had a Mrs. Ferguson, I'd be a doll fan, too. I am totally impressed with your sleeping bags that even have a zipper. All stuffed animal sleeping bags I have made thus far are sans zipper. Beyond my capabilities. And poor Junior. I can just see him now...the honored guest at your next basement party;)
love the check box tradition, and the story behind it, and LOVE LOVE LOVE that you are going to be Lucy's Mrs. Ferguson!
Oh - my heart went pitter patter while reading this. What a lovely tribute to your aunt's MIL and a testament to your tenacity (love the reference to interstate Craigslist stalking) and craftiness. Lucy is such a lucky girl!
love this. can't wait to see member's only jacket, seriously... now you have to make it because you put the idea into print and you can't tease us like that.
Post a Comment